Apple Compote Parfait with Creamy Tahini & Flaked Halva
This holiday season, we’re excited to share a recipe from our friend Liz Rueven of @kosherlikeme and kosherlikeme.com! This recipe was inspired by the Jewish tradition of dipping sliced apples in honey to ensure a sweet new year on the holiday of Rosh HaShanah. Here, nutty Seed + Mill tahini and flaked cinnamon specked halva bring all the elements to a beautiful cooling parfait.
For the apple compote:
4 c apples, peeled, cored and cut into chunks
1 tsp cinnamon plus more to top off the parfait before serving
1⁄2 tsp powdered ginger
1 tsp lemon juice
2 tbsp margarine or plant based butter (Earth Balance)
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp honey
For the sweetened yogurt:
16 oz plain, Greek style yogurt (I like Kite Hill dairy free almond milk yogurt)
4 tbsp honey
For the tahini + halva components:
1⁄2 c Seed + Mill Organic Tahini
8 oz Seed + Mill halva, (I used 4 oz cinnamon halva and 4 oz ginger halva but feel free to go with one or the other, if you prefer)
Prep the layers:
- Make the apple compote:
- In a medium size bowl, toss the apple chunks with cinnamon, ginger, and lemon juice. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the margarine. Add the brown sugar and honey and stir until dissolved.
- Add seasoned apples to the saucepan and stir to coat with margarine mixture. Cook on low, uncovered for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove cooked apples from heat, cool and set aside or store in the refrigerator until ready to assemble parfait.
- Mix the sweetened yogurt
- In a small bowl, stir yogurt and honey to combine and set aside.
- Prepare the tahini + halva components:
- Spoon tahini into a small bowl and set aside.
- Flake halva with a sharp knife and set aside.
Assemble the parfait:
- Line up 4 glasses on your work surface. Line up ingredients in this order: tahini, apple compote, sweetened yogurt, halva.
- Layer ingredients into glasses beginning with 1 tbsp tahini, 1-2 tbsp apple compote, 2 tbsp sweetened yogurt, and 1 tsp halva.
- Repeat layers so that flaked halva tops off the parfait. Dust each parfait with cinnamon and serve.
Spoon layers into parfait cups, stemless wine glasses, jelly jars or any clear glass container that will show off the layers.
This recipe may be assembled and refrigerated up to two days in advance of serving, and can be made with or without dairy depending on the yogurt you use. Vegans may substitute date syrup for honey.