Halva Tahini Banana Pancakes
Are you thinking of making your mom breakfast in bed this Mother's Day? Impress her with this incredible twist on the traditional banana pancake! Danielle Oron from the popular blog I Will Not Eat Oysters explains:
"This recipe is my perfect pancake. Substituting some of the conventional ingredients makes for a bit of a healthier dish. I use coconut sugar instead of refined sugar. The whole wheat flour adds a deeper flavor that works beautifully with the bananas and tahini that creates a hidden nuttiness. For the topping, silan (date syrup) and halva/tahini is a classic combination and is a healthier alternative to maple syrup. Seed + Mill has a Cinnamon Halva that works blissfully on top of these, and plays perfectly with the banana!"
You have our permission to treat yourself and make a little extra topping for your pancakes!
For the pancakes
3/4 c flour
3/4 c whole wheat flour
2 tbs coconut sugar (in a pinch, substitute with brown sugar)
1 tbs baking powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 very ripe banana (the riper the banana is, the sweeter the actual pancake will be)
1 c whole milk
3 tbs Organic Tahini
Unsalted butter for pan or griddle
1.In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, whole wheat flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, and salt.
2. In a separate bowl, mash the banana well and whisk in milk, egg, and tahini until combined.
3. Stir banana mixture into flour mixture until just incorporated. It’s ok if there are some lumps. It’s better to undermix than overmix!
4. Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium-low. Add a knob of butter and swirl the pan to coat the bottom.
5. Working in batches, scoop the batter onto the pan or griddle in 1/4 - 1/3 c amounts . Cook pancakes until the bottoms are golden and bubbles form on top that do not pop, about 2-3 minutes.
6. Flip pancakes and continue cooking until golden brown, about 2 minutes longer. TIP: You can keep the pancakes warm in a 200 ˚F pre-heated oven.
7. Plate your pancakes and drizzle with silan and tahini. Top with lots and lots of Cinnamon Halva, slices of banana, and sprinkle with a bit more cinnamon.
Makes 10 pancakes. Enjoy!