Spinach & Feta Pie
2 c frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry (the drier, the better)
1 c finely chopped dark leafy greens (we used kale and riced broccoli)
4 large eggs, beaten, plus 1 extra for egg wash
1 tbs water
3 tbs extra virgin olive oil
10 oz Greek Feta cheese, crumbled (reserving 2 tbs for the top of the pie)
1/4 c grated parmesan
1 c chopped green herbs (we used a mix of basil, parsley, and dill)
Zest of 1 lemon
2 heaped tbs Seed + Mill Za'atar Spice Blend, separated
1 sheet of store-bought puff pastry, thawed
1. Preheat the oven to 350 °F.
2. In a bowl, gently mix to combine: the drained spinach, chopped greens, eggs, olive oil, 8 oz feta, parmesan, herbs, lemon zest, 1 tbs Za'atar spice mix.
3. Roll out the puff pastry so that it is 4-5 inches wider than your pie dish. For example, if using an 18 inch pie dish, you would roll your dough to roughly a 22 inch diameter.
4. Lower the dough into the pie dish so that there is roughly 2-3 inch overhang around the edge.
5. Spoon the filling into an even layer on the pie dough
6. Lift, fold and twist the dough that is hanging over the pie dish, bringing the twisted dough up and over the filling. Like this!
7. In a bowl, make an egg wash by whisking the remaining egg with 1 tbs water.
8. Brush the edge of the pastry with the egg wash and sprinkle the final 1 tbs Za'atar spice around the edge of the dough.
9. Sprinkle the rest of the crumbled feta cheese over the top of the filling.
10. Transfer to the oven and bake until the pastry has ‘puffed up’ and is golden brown, about 50 minutes.
Serves 6 - warm or at room temperature.