Charred Zucchini Ribbons with Za’atar Tahini Yogurt Sauce
Grilled zucchini ribbons look sophisticated on a summer BBQ table, but are incredibly simple to prepare! The creamy tahini sauce makes the perfect accompaniment to this great side dish.
3 medium zucchinis
2-3 tbs olive oil
½ c Organic Za’atar Tahini
½ c iced water
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
Extra lemon for grilling (optional)
¼ c Greek yogurt (replace with dairy free yogurt or leave out for vegan option)
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Pre-heat outdoor grill or grill plate/skillet over medium-high.
2. Use a vegetable peeler or mandoline to create zucchini ribbons (leaving the skin on).
3. Gently fold the ribbons over each other in alternating directions and then slide a skewer through the center.
4. Drizzle or lightly brush zucchini with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
5. Grill the skewers on each side for 3-4 mins each side until slightly crispy on the edges (careful not to burn them).
6. Slice extra lemon in half and place cut side on the grill until slightly charred (about 2-3 mins).
7. While the skewers are grilling, make the tahini sauce by whisking together the tahini, iced water, lemon juice, zest, yogurt, salt and pepper in a bowl. It will slowly thicken up into a sauce. If too thick, add 1-2 tbs more water, and if too thin, add 1-2 tbs more tahini until the sauce has a smooth velvety consistency.
8. Smear the sauce over a platter and place the skewers over the top, keeping 1-2 tbs for drizzling over the top.
9. Squeeze the juice of the grilled lemon over the skewers and drizzle remaining sauce.