We had lots of fun developing our own sesame inspired take on a traditional Hamantaschen, by adding halva, tahini and extra sesame seeds! We used a basic dough recipe by Jake Cohen and The FeedFeed Team which was super easy and can be used as the base for any other filling option!
This recipe makes approx. 18 HalvaTaschen - they are most delicious eaten straight out of the oven!
For the dough:
1.5 c all purpose flour
3/4 tsp salt
1.5 sticks (225g) unsalted butter at room temp.
2/3 c sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs (1 for the dough + 1 whisked egg for an egg wash)
2 tbs toasted sesame seeds
For the filling:
There are endless options to fill your Hamantaschen! We like these two options best.
Option 1: use small balls of Date & Tahini Chocolate Fudge (recipe here)
Option 2: chocolate tahini ganache with chunks of halva
1 c dark chocolate chips
3 tbs Seed + Mill Organic Tahini
1/2 c Seed + Mill halva (we used Pistachio and Raspberry, but feel free to choose your own flavor)
1 tbs chopped pistachios (optional)
1. To make Option 2 filling: gently melt chocolate chips over double boiler or in microwave. Once completely runny, stir through 3 tbs tahini and allow mixture to cool.
2. Make dough: in a medium bowl, whisk flour and salt to incorporate. In a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy (approx. 2 mins). With motor running, add vanilla and egg, then mix to incorporate. Add dry ingredients and mix on low speed until a smooth dough forms.
3. Place dough between 2 sheets of parchment paper and roll out to ¼-inch thick. Using a 3¼-inch ring cutter, cut out as many rounds as you can, placing the rounds on a parchment lined baking sheet. Reroll dough scraps and repeat the process.
4. For Option 1 filling: roll a small ball of fudge and place in the center of each dough circle, leaving a 1/2 inch border.
5. For Option 2 filling: spoon 1 tbs chocolate tahini ganache onto dough round and place a small chunk of halva over the top. Add extra chopped Pistachios if you wish!
6. Fold in dough from three sides to form a triangle and pinch edges together to seal, leaving a small opening over filling.
7. Make sure HalvaTaschen are spaced about 2-inches apart from each other (they might spread while baking). Chill for 1 hour, then repinch corners to ensure they’re well sealed. Brush edges with egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds (optional, not essential).
8. Pre-heat oven to 350F.
9. Once oven is hot, remove trays from the fridge and bake for 20-25 mins (or until the dough is golden).