Mina Stone's Tomato Salad With Tahini and Mint
Tweaked from the book LEMON, LOVE & OLIVE OIL by Mina Stone. Copyright © 2021 by Asimina Stone. Published by Harper Wave, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers. Reprinted by permission.
Photos by Cassandra MacLeod.
We are always happy to promote local talent, so we are very excited to share one of Brooklyn-based Greek-American chef Mina Stone's recipes from her new cookbook, LEMON, LOVE & OLIVE OIL. What Mina writes about this recipe: "I saw this salad on the menu of one of my favorite restaurants in Brooklyn a few years ago and thought . . . tomatoes? With tahini? I hesitantly ordered it, and to this day, it remains one of my very favorite salads to eat and re-create. Seasonal tomatoes, full of flavor, pair perfectly with a super lemony tahini and fresh mint. It is so easy, so beautiful, and very tasty."
For the tahini:
½ c (120 ml) tahini (either our Organic Tahini or Organic Za'atar Tahini)
Juice of 2 lemons
⅓ c (80 ml) water, plus more if needed
For the salad:
4 medium to large heirloom tomatoes, cut into bite-size wedges
1 handful of cherry tomatoes, cut in half
Juice of ½ a lemon
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 handfuls fresh mint leaves
1. To make the tahini: in a medium bowl, whisk the tahini with the lemon juice and water.
2. Add more water as necessary to reach a thick but spreadable consistency, like whipped cream.
3. Season with salt to taste.
4. To assemble the salad: spread the tahini on a large platter in a thick layer and nestle the wedges of heirloom tomatoes on top of it.
5. Scatter the cherry tomatoes over the tahini and heirloom tomatoes.
6. Squeeze the lemon half over the tomatoes and drizzle the salad generously with olive oil.
7. Sprinkle with salt and freshly ground black pepper and scatter the mint leaves over the salad to serve.