Spiced Roast Butternut Soup with a Tahini Swirl
This vegan soup is perfect for fall. The spices add zing and the tahini adds a creaminess and depth of extra flavor that will make this a super satisfying meal. All you need is some crusty bread and you’re all set!
4 tbs olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 tsp Hawaij spice (leave out if you can’t find Hawaij, or sub in a tiny pinch of cumin, cinnamon and turmeric)
1 tsp grated ginger
1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
3 to 4 cups vegetable broth
4 tbs Organic Tahini
1 tbs toasted sesame seeds (we used a mix of black and white seeds but either are fine!)
Pinch of salt and pepper
1. Pre-heat oven to 375F.
2. Place cubed butternut on parchment lined baking tray and drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle over the Hawaij spice and a pinch of salt. Roast for 45 minutes until butternut is golden and starting to caramelize.
3. While butternut is roasting, heat 2 tbs olive oil in a large pot, add onion and sauté until onion is translucent. Add garlic, ginger and sauté for an additional 2 minutes until soft (careful not to burn the garlic). Set aside until butternut is roasted.
4. Add butternut to pot and stir to combine. Then, add 3 cups of the broth and bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to a simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Allow soup to cool slightly and transfer to a blender or use an immersion blender and blend until smooth. Add up to one additional cup of broth to achieve the consistency you like. Adjust seasoning.
6. Swirl 1 tbs tahini into each bowl just before serving, add a sprinkle of sesame seeds and crusty bread!