This vegan siniya is the Middle Eastern take on shepherd's pie. It makes a satisfying cauliflower and lentil casserole, brought together with tahini and spices and garnished with pine nuts. We guarantee you, you won't even miss the meat!
3 tbs hawayej (Yemenite spice blend)
1.5 tbs salt
2 c lentils
1/2 c tomato paste
1 Spanish onion, chopped
1 garlic head, minced
2 c water
whole cauliflower, roasted
1 c of Organic Tahini
1/4 c cold water
1/2 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Cook the lentils. Fry the onions and add lentils, hawayej, 1.5 tbs salt, garlic and tomato paste. Let cook for a minute. Add 2 cups of water and let cook until tender, about 40-50 min.
3. While lentils are cooking, roast the cauliflower for 15-20 min until brown (season with salt and olive oil).
4. Place half of the roasted cauliflower in a baking dish. Pour the lentils over. Cover the lentils with the remaining cauliflower.
5. Prepare the tahini by mixing a cup of tahini with 1/4 cup of cold water, half a lemon and 1/2 tsp of salt.
6. Pour the tahini over the lentils and cauliflower. Sprinkle pine nuts on top.
7. Place in oven to bake for 20 minutes. Garnish with parsley before serving.