Roasted Eggplant With Za’atar Tahini Drizzle (aka Deconstructed Baba Ganoush!)
Roasting a whole eggplant has to be one of the most dramatic transformations for a vegetable! The plump eggplant flesh softens into a dreamy creamy base, held together by its burnt, crispy skin. All it needs is a fork and a drizzle of our Za’atar Tahini! Photo by @spinachdaddy. Watch us make it on Youtube or Reels.
2 large eggplants
2-3 tbs olive oil
½ c Greek yogurt (leave out if you wish to keep this recipe vegan)
½ c Organic Za’atar Tahini
½ c iced water
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
Salt & pepper to taste
1/4 c finely chopped parsley, dill or mint (or a combination)
2 tbs toasted pine nuts
Pinch of flaky sea salt
Pita or crusty bread
1. Place a sheet pan in your oven and preheat to 475°F or pre-heat your grill if using an outdoor grill.
2. When oven is hot, place the eggplants on the sheet and leave to roast for 50 mins (there’s nothing else to do here, no oil, cutting etc is needed). You can also place your eggplants directly onto a hot grill for the same period of time.
3. While the eggplants are roasting or grilling, make the tahini sauce by whisking together the tahini, water, lemon juice and zest, salt and pepper. The sauce will initially seize up, but keep slowly whisking for 1-2 mins until preferred consistency is achieved. Stir in the yogurt (if using). Add extra water if too thick, or add extra tahini if too thin. Set sauce aside and placed squeezed lemons on the grill for a few mins as an optional garnish.
4. Carefully turn eggplants at approx. 25 mins. After 50 mins, gently remove eggplants from the tray or grill and place on a serving plate and leave to rest for 10 mins.
5. When ready to serve, gently cut the skin of the eggplant open and peel skin back on either side to create space to drizzle the sauce. Gently mash the exposed eggplant flesh with a fork.
6. Drizzle the tahini sauce on top along with extra olive oil, a sprinkle of herbs, toasted pine nuts and flaky sea salt.
7. Serve garnished with toasted pita or crusty bread.