Squash Baba Ganoush with Crunchy Seed Topping
With so much squash available during the Fall, we were looking for some fun and creative ways to develop some new recipes. So, we decided to see what would happen if we made a version of Baba Ganoush, but subbed out eggplant for the squash! This is a lovely combination of taste and texture and an opportunity to enjoy the best produce of the season! Watch us make it here.
2-3 medium acorn squash, (any winter squash would be great here, we love acorn because it’s the perfect shape for a serving bowl!)
½ c Organic Roasted Garlic Tahini
2 tbsp olive oil
Salt & pepper, to taste
Optional: 1 tsp Black Urfa Chili (Black Urfa Chili mimics the smokiness of a traditional Baba Ganoush, without the grill. If you can’t find it, replace with some red chili flakes or leave out all together.)
Crackers, bread, crudité veg, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Slice the squash into halves lengthwise (be careful, it’s a bit tricky). Using a spoon, scrape out the seeds and set them aside. Place squash halves cut side up on a sheet pan or baking dish, drizzle with olive oil, season with salt & pepper, then roast until golden and tender, about an hour. The deeper the color, the deeper the caramelization, which will lead to a sweeter, more intense dip.
- Remove any large chunks of squash from the seeds, then place seeds on a parchment lined sheet pan, drizzle with olive oil, season with salt & pepper, and roast along with the squash for about 20 minutes, or until nicely browned and crispy. Set aside.
- Once the squash has cooled enough to handle, scrape the flesh from all but one half into a large bowl. Add the tahini, ½ of the lemon, the olive oil and urfa, then season with salt & pepper. Use a fork to roughly mix all of the ingredients together until well combined. Add additional lemon juice, as needed, to taste.
- Spoon the mixture into the reserved squash half, mounding it up towards the center for dramatic presentation. Sprinkle with the toasted seeds and drizzle with extra olive oil.
- Serve alongside your favorite crackers & crudité veg, and enjoy!