Chocolate Halva & Coconut Macaroons
These macaroons, adapted from Matt Moran’s ‘When I Get Home,’ make a perfect afternoon snack with a cup of coffee! They are dairy-free and Passover-friendly! Feel free to substitute any halva flavor you prefer, or leave the halva out if you don't eat sesame seeds during Passover.
1/2 c sugar
2 1/2 c shredded/flaked coconut
1/4 lb Seed + Mill Sea Salt Dark Chocolate Halva, chopped into small pieces
4 egg whites
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 c dark chocolate buttons
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 °F and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
2. In a saucepan, combine sugar, egg whites, and vanilla, and whisk until slightly frothy and well combined.
3. Add the coconut and stir over medium heat until the mixture starts to come away from the sides of the pan, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
4. Shape the mixture into 20 equally-sized balls and arrange on a baking tray.
5. If you’re adding halva, now’s the time! Place a small piece of Sea Salt Dark Chocolate Halva and a chocolate button into the centre of each macaroon and push it gently into the ball.
6. Bake until golden, about 10 minutes.
Let cool before eating.