Nothing says "I care about you" like a home-baked treat. Show your love for your friends & family with a batch of these rich chocolate cookies. This recipe is adapted from a recipe by our good friend, Paul Allam, who wrote Bourke Street Bakery: All Things Sweet. These cookies are a fan favorite at all of their bakeries, which started in Sydney and are now popping up all over New York! Go try the original, and then see if you can recreate them with a fun puddle of our halva on the top!
235g (8½ oz) dark chocolate (55% cocoa), chopped
150 g (5½ oz/1c) all-purpose flour
45g (1½ oz) unsweetened cocoa powder
1½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
105g (3¾ oz) unsalted butter
240g (8¾ oz) brown sugar
85g (3 oz) dried sour cherries
1 container Seed + Mill Halva, we used Tart Cherry
- Preheat the oven to 320°F. Line two baking trays with parchment paper.
- Place the chocolate in a large stainless steel bowl and set it over a saucepan of simmering water, making sure the base of the bowl does not touch the water. Allow the water to boil for two minutes, then turn off the heat and stir the chocolate while it slowly melts.
- Combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
- Beat the butter and sugar, ideally with an electric mixer, until pale and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, making sure each is well incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients in three batches, mixing well after each addition, then add the melted chocolate and mix until well combined.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer, then fold the cherries through. The mixture can become quite sticky, so you may need to chill it for 15 minutes before shaping the cookies.
- Take 3 tbsp of the mixture at a time and roll into evenly sized balls-- you should end up with about 12 balls total. Place the balls on the lined baking trays, allowing room for them to spread.
- Cube halva using a knife or break into bite size chunks. Gently press a piece of halva into the center of each cookie.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes, or until firm.
- Bake in batches, for 15-20 minutes each, or until risen and quite cracked on top, with a pool of melted halva in the center. Allow to cool on the trays. Dust with powdered sugar for fun touch at the end (not essential!)
The cookies will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.