Tahini Swirl Pavlova with Cream, Berries & Snowy Halva Flakes
Pavlova is undoubtedly one of our favorite desserts (Rachel, our co-founder, being from Australia, and all……) but it’s also one of those dishes that no matter how closely we follow the recipe, something always seems to go wrong! We were determined to master the art of pavlova, and give it a Seed + Mill twist! And, that’s when we discovered the joy of Zoe Francois. Zoe is truly a joy to watch in the kitchen. She makes the most complicated recipes seem easy, her photography is exquisite and it’s virtually impossible not to smile back at her, whether we’re watching her in a video or reading her blog - she’s worth the follow if you’re not already!
We adapted Zoe’s pavlova recipe by adding some tahini swirls, to create something a little more unique, and also balance out the sweetness of a classic Pavlova.
5 egg whites (preferably at room temperature)
1¼ c sugar (as fine as you can find it!))
⅛ tsp cream of tartar (optional)
1 tsp white vinegar
3 tbsp cold water
4 tbsp Seed + Mill Organic Tahini
1 tsp vanilla (extract or paste, we love Heilala)
1 tbsp plus 1 tsp cornstarch
1 c heavy whipping cream
1 c mixed berries
½ c Seed + Mill Halva (any flavor would be delicious here)
1 pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 275°F
- Place a piece of parchment paper on a large baking sheet
- Whip the egg whites, cream of tartar (if using) and salt together until medium-stiff peaks
- Add the water slowly while whipping the whites on low speed. Drizzle in the sugar, then turn up the speed and whip until stiff peaks
- Fold in the vanilla, vinegar and cornstarch
- Spread the meringue over the parchment paper in a rough rectangular shape (or round works too).
- Drizzle the tahini over the base and gently use a spoon or spatula to create a swirl pattern (watch us make it here)
- Bake for 60 minutes or until the meringue starts to turn a very pale tan color, then reduce the heat to 250°F and continue to bake for 45 minutes. Turn off the oven (don’t open the door). Let the meringue sit in the cooling oven for at least an hour, but it can be stored like this overnight.
- Top with freshly whipped cream, berries and flakes of halva!