Rhubarb Tahini Frangipane Tart
Use tahini instead of butter for this beautiful frangipane!
For the tahini frangipane filling
1/2 c almonds
1/3 c sugar
1/3 c Seed + Mill Organic Tahini
3 tbs flour
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbs maple syrup (optional)
For the topping
6 stalks of rhubarb
1 tbs brown sugar
1 egg or 1 tbs milk (optional extra to brush over the pastry dough)
For Pie Crust
Use your favorite pie crust recipe (we used this one)
1. Preheat oven to 375 °F.
2. In a food processor or blender, process the almonds until they form a fine meal. Add the sugar and flour, blend, and add the eggs and vanilla, and blend again.
3. On the lowest setting of your blender, stream in tahini (you can pulse if using a food processor). If the mixture is very sticky, add 2 tbs maple syrup to loosen it.
4. Onto a lightly flowered surface, roll out the pastry dough in a rectangular or circular shape. Transfer to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, and spread the frangipane mixture evenly over the pastry, leaving a 1-inch border of dough
5. Cut the rhubarb into whatever shape you like and place it over the pastry - we liked the geometric patterns! - and sprinkle the brown sugar over the rhubarb.
6. Turn the pastry edges up so that it just covers the edge of the rhubarb and pinch the edges to keep it secure. I brushed some milk over the pastry dough, but you can use a beaten egg if you prefer.
7. Bake in the oven for 45 mins or until the pastry has browned. Sprinkle with some confectioners sugar if you like the snowy look!