Salted Apple & Honey Cupcakes with Tahini Cream Cheese Frosting
We had so much fun developing this recipe! Not only are these cupcakes impressive (hello surprise filling!), but they're deceptively easy to make and are sure to wow your friends & family. Adding the tahini is crucial here, as it balances the sweetness of the honey, as well as the apple filling, giving these cakes a deep earthy flavor that is truly unique. Watch us make it on Youtube and Reels. The recipe for the cupcake base and frosting works double duty - just double the ingredients to make these these cute Tahini & Salted Honey loaf cakes at the same time!
For the cupcakes
1 c unsalted butter
¾ c superfine or caster sugar
½ c Seed + Mill Organic Tahini
1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
⅓ c honey
1 ¾ c plain flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
½ cup Greek yogurt
For the apple filling
4 apples, (we left the skin on) diced into small pieces
½ c brown sugar
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbs water
2 tbs unsalted butter
For the tahini cream cheese frosting
4 oz cream cheese, softened
2 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
1 ¾ cup powdered sugar
¼ c Seed + Mill Organic Tahini
1 tsp vanilla extract
¼ tsp salt
Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease 2 cupcake trays or place cupcake cups into each cup (for 12 cupcakes).
For the apples
In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add apples, brown sugar and cook until apples soften (approx. 10-12 minutes, stirring every couple of minutes so they don’t burn).
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until a smooth paste forms and then gently stir into the apple mix. Keep cooking until mix thickens up slightly (approx. 1-2 mins). Add 1-2 tbs more water if the apple mix appears dry. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely (the apple mixture can be made 2-3 days in advance if desired).
For the cupcakes
Cream the butter, sugar, tahini and vanilla in a large bowl, until pale and fluffy. Add honey, then eggs, one at a time, scraping down the bowl and beating well after each addition.
- In a new bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Pour half of the dry mixture into the butter mixture and stir until just combined. Stir in the yogurt, followed by the rest of the dry ingredients. Fill each cupcake cup.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the top is golden and a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
For the frosting
- While the cupcakes are in the oven, make the frosting by placing all ingredients in a stand mixer and beat until well combined and fluffy (approx. 2-3 mins, a hand held mixer works fine here too).
- Once the cupcakes are baked and cooled, use a sharp edged spoon or small knife to scoop out the center of the cupcake (about 1 inch deep by 1 inch wide). Save the cupcake middles to snack on! Fill each cavity with cooled apple mixture, then top with the frosting and ENJOY!!!!