These Tahini Blackberry Rhubarb Almond Bars have a crisp tahini almond flour base topped with soft almond frangipane, fresh blackberries, and tart rhubarb. They are paleo, gluten-free, and refined sugar free!
For the crust
1 c almond flour
2 tbsp tapioca flour
2 tbsp coconut or date sugar
1/8 tsp salt
2 tbsp melted coconut oil
1 tbsp Seed + Mill Organic Tahini
For the topping
3/4 c unsalted almonds
1 tbsp tapioca flour
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/3 c coconut/date sugar
3 tbsp coconut oil, solid
2 tbsp Seed + Mill Organic Tahini
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 c chopped rhubarb, cut into 1" thick slices
1 c fresh blackberries
1 tsp lemon zest
1 tbsp lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 350 °F and line an 8x8" square pan with parchment paper. Grease with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a mixing bowl, stir together all ingredients for the crust until fully combined, and there's no dry flour remaining. Press the crust evenly in the pan.
3. For the topping, grind the almonds, tapioca flour, salt, and coconut sugar in a food processor until they form a powdered texture (or as fine as you can make it). Add the coconut oil and tahini and process until no longer visible. Add the egg and vanilla, blending until completely incorporated, and a smooth paste is formed. Spread the filling evenly over the almond crust.
4. Toss the fruit with the lemon zest and juice and evenly spread over the almond paste topping.
5. Bake for 40 minutes, or until set and a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
6. Let cool completely before cutting into squares.
Optional serving suggestions: dust with powdered sugar to finish and serve with Greek yogurt, creme fraiche or ice-cream. You can prepare these up to 3 days in advance and keep fresh in an air tight container.