Tahini Swirl Spiced Squash Soup
Adding a swirl of tahini to this bowl of naturally vegan spicy squash soup adds a rich, nutty flavor and creamy texture - but it’s also an incredibly easy way to turn your bowl into a work of art and impress your guests! Leave out the fancy herbs if you’re not entertaining, but the tahini is always essential! Serve with crusty garlic bread!
2.2 lbs butternut or kabocha squash (seeds removed and cut into square chunks)
1 large onion
2 finely chopped garlic cloves
5 tbsp olive oil
2½ c vegetable stock
½ tsp ground turmeric
½ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp ground cumin
4 tbsp Seed + Mill Organic Tahini
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Pre-heat oven to 390°F.
2.Toss the squash in 2 tbsp olive oil and lay out on a sheet pan, roast for 30-40 min (or until browned).
3. Add the rest of the olive oil to a large saucepan and sauté the onion, garlic, turmeric, ginger and cumin on medium heat, until onions are translucent and soft.
4. Add the roasted squash to the onion, add the stock and allow to simmer for 15-20 mins.
5. Add pinch of salt (or more, to your taste).
6. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup (or transfer to a blender if easier).
7. To serve: swirl the tahini over the soup, add any kind of herb garnish (we used chives and micro greens) and a sprinkle of chili flakes and black pepper.
Photo courtesy of Noreen Wasti