This siniya (the Middle Eastern take on shepherd's pie) is vegan! Satisfying cauliflower and lentil casserole comes together with tahini and spices and gets garnished with pine nuts. We guarantee you won't even miss the meat!
3 tbs hawayej (Yemenite spice blend)
1 1/2 tbs salt
2 c lentils
1/2 c tomato paste
1 Spanish onion, chopped
1 garlic head, minced
2 c water
Whole cauliflower, roasted
1 c of Seed + Mill Organic Tahini
1/4 c cold water
1/2 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 °F.
2. To cook the lentils, place onions and oil in a saucepan and sauté until onions are soft and translucent. Add lentils, hawayej spice, 1 1/2 tbs salt, garlic, and tomato paste, and stir to combine. Allow the flavors to come together for a minute and then add 2 c water. Allow to simmer until lentils are tender, about 40-50 minutes.
3. While lentils are cooking, season the cauliflower with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and roast until brown, about 15-20 minutes
4. In a baking dish, layer half of the roasted cauliflower and cover with lentils. Layer the remaining cauliflower over the lentils.
5. Prepare the tahini by mixing a c of tahini with 1/4 c of cold water, half a lemon, and 1/2 tsp of salt.
6. Pour the tahini over the lentils and cauliflower. Sprinkle pine nuts on top.
7. Place in oven to bake for 20 minutes. Garnish with parsley before serving.